Lagos City Diaries

Lagos City Diaries
My Lagos City Diaries...for the Love of Las Gidi

Monday 23 July 2018

A Story My Friend 'Chiamaka', The One Who Has My Back Every Single Time


Hello Friends!

I'm wishing you all a great day from Lagos, Nigeria. I am sharing this short story about my friend who had my back every single time, and how I got attracted to my best friend.

So my story goes like this:


On a fateful Monday morning during my first year at the Institute of Management and Technology (IMT) Enugu, I met my best friend, Chiamaka (meaning God is Good, in Igbo language) inside a taxi while going for my lectures.

I was living with an uncle very close to the campus who he just dropped me off where I can get a taxi to school, as soon as I flagged down the taxi, there she is inside the cab, smiling at me as I entered. "Good morning" as I calmly greeted her and everyone in the taxi.

As soon I dropped and brought out money to pay the driver, a misunderstanding ensued as the man started shouting at me for not having "Change" (a small denomination) and instead brought out a whole N500 note to pay for N50 fare. Chiamaka immediately intervened, she paid for both of us, and as we were talking, I found out that we were both in the same department.


That was how my friendship with Chiamaka started. She was my only friend as I was very quiet and shy. I never used to talk much. So we became good friends. She became my buddy, my reading partner, my listening ear, as we started sharing many things together just like Nigeria's Number 1 Friendship Beer, “33” Export Premium Lager.

The day I knew Chiamaka was a rare gem was when I got into trouble as a result of financial problems. I was about to miss my second semester exams because I'm yet to pay for some textbooks, and immediately I told her, she rushed and paid for everything citing our friendship and the fact that we prepared well together, and we later came out in flying colours after the result was released.

In the beginning of our second year due to a misunderstanding, she became upset with me and stopped talking to me. I asked for forgiveness many times as it was totally my fault. She later said she had forgiven me, and yet again shocked me by surprising me with a gift - a wristwatch.

We were coming back from a reading class one night when some cultists started chasing us to snatch our mobile phones, just like she has done many times in the past, Chiamaka saved me yet again, as she quickly blew a whistle which attracted the school's security, and the suspects scampered.


Few days later, I was so impressed with her for always having my back and decided to take her out. We had a few drinks, ofcourse my favourite, "33" Lager Beer, Nkwobi and was almost embarrased when I realized that I forgot my wallet at home. As usuaal, Chiamaka came to rescue and cleared our debt, which I paid back later.

The day Chiamaka tripped me the most was when I was down sick and couldn't come to school for days, she heard the news. Rallied round, took me to the pharmacy and always visit to check one until I was fine.

We later graduated with Upper Credit, we to different states for our NYSC, and continued to keep in touch until today.

Here's a toast of "33" Lager Beer to the best friend in the world - Chiamaka.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nigerians, Get Ready to be Energized, and Win FREE Packs of MACA Energy Drink

The consumption of Energy drinks has taken an interesting turn as CWAY Food and Beverages introduces MACA Energy Drink.